With many of us doing work or homework on computers, having a laptop is all but a requirement for many people. You likely use one at home, potentially one at the office, and probably even at the coffee shop. Unfortunately, many will cost you an arm and a leg. However, not everyone wants to spend a ton of money on their laptop.
Thankfully, there are some great deals that can get you the most bang for your buck. Even if you only have $200 or less to spend, there are some great options out there for you. With that in mind, we have collected some of the best laptops under $200 to take a look at. Hopefully one meets your needs!
- For those who want an incredibly light and portable laptop, consider the Samsung Electronics XE500C13 Chromebook. It weighs less than 3 pounds and can last over 10 hours on a single charge. Perfect for those with an “on the go” lifestyle.
- If you still want a portable device, but also still want some decent specs, try the Lenovo 130S 11.6″ HD Laptop. It features an acceptable amount of RAM, the potential for high processing speeds and an efficiently backlit display.
- If you want a budget laptop with a larger screen, why not consider the Lenovo Chromebook S330 Laptop? In addition to offering a larger screen than what is normal in this price range, it offers great battery life, 4 GB of RAM and a beautiful design.
Who Should Get This?
The laptops on this list should be perfect for those looking for an introductory level laptop. While you won’t get masterful specs in this price range, you can expect to be able to do most standard things like browsing the internet and consuming media with ease.
Of course, if you also want to spend less money on your laptop, then these are great options for you. Life is expensive, so spending less when you can isn’t a bad idea.
However, if you are doing video editing, playing highly-demanding games or programming, these laptops might not be for you. Many simply lack the processing power and speed to keep up with high-intensity tasks like those.
Best Laptops Under $200: What to Consider in 2022
One of the main selling points of any laptop is portability. However, a laptop with poor battery life isn’t very portable. You want a computer that can work with you on the go, and not constantly be tethered to a power outlet. Because of this, you should always consider battery life when shopping for a laptop.
The average person keeps a lot on their computer. Photos, files, games, programs and dozens of other things take up space on your computer. You want to be sure your computer has enough storage for all the things you need to keep and save. Storage is one of the areas you might have to sacrifice when getting a budget laptop, but thankfully there are external storage solutions you can use.
CPU and Processor Speed
The CPU and processor in your computer dictate not only how much information can be received at a time, but also how quickly you see it. Generally, the speedier your processor, the quicker your computer will load things and the snappier your overall experience will be.
Of course, you also need to be sure to consider the size of the laptop you want. Laptops come in a range of different screen sizes from around 10 inches to around 17 inches, though some can be larger. Normally, laptops that are smaller are more affordable, so don’t expect to see a lot of 17-inch displays in this price range. The size of your computer will be especially important if you take it with you everywhere.
Best Laptops Under $200: Our Picks for 2022
1. Samsung Electronics XE500C13 Chromebook
This offering from Samsung is a great option for those who want a computer to keep up with their busy lifestyle. The computer boasts 2 GB of RAM and a 16 GB SSD. And at just over 2.5 pounds, the laptop can easily be taken anywhere with ease. An 11-hour battery life is also an attractive feature.
- Incredibly light and easy to take with you anywhere
- A spill-resistant keyboard to prevent accidents
- High quality built-in security features
- All-day battery life
- 2 GB of RAM isn’t enough for many people
- 16 GB of storage may not be enough for those who want to save a lot of files or documents
2. Lenovo 130S 11.6″ HD Laptop
This is a great option for those who want a very portable laptop, without giving up decent specs. This Lenovo 130S comes with 4 GB of RAM, as well as 64GB of eMMC flash memory for all of your files and documents. The computer can offer processor speeds of up to 2.6 GHz and features an efficient backlight and UHD Graphics 600. The laptop also comes with a year of Office 365 Personal, which is a nice added bonus.
- A good amount of memory for the cost
- An included year of Office 365 Personal to save you even more
- A quality display with decent resolution
- The performance can be lacking at times
- Overheating and freezing has been a relatively common complaint
3. Lenovo Chromebook S330 Laptop
If you want something with a larger screen that is still as efficient and portable as a smaller laptop, consider the Lenovo Chromebook S330. It has a 14-inch display, to go along with 32 GB of eMMC storage. Add to that a strong battery life and 4 GB of RAM and you have a nice blend of power and portability.
- Incredibly sleek and thin design
- A 14-inch display
- 10+ hours of battery life
- There have been complaints about the screen quality
- The speakers could use some work
Useful Tips and Resources
Just because the aforementioned laptops are under $200, doesn’t mean you should treat them like they’re any worse than a more expensive one. If treated well, computers can last a long time and can give you years and years of service. However, if you throw it around, don’t keep it clean and generally disrespect it, it could last you much less.
If you struggle with taking care of your laptop or don’t know what to do, this education video can help:
Also, be sure to evaluate your needs before even making a purchase. You should have a good idea of your wants and needs before shopping to prevent yourself from being overwhelmed. Have a list of things you need, and a list of features you may be willing to go without.
As you can see, it’s not always necessary to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new laptop. There are many deals to be found, and there are several great laptops at reasonable prices. Hopefully, this guide has been able to identify the right laptop for you and your wallet.
Do you own or know about a laptop for under $200 that you feel we should have mentioned? If so, let us know in the comments.