The laptop market has changed in a big way, and 2-in-1 laptops have become an extremely popular option. This is great news for artists and people who love to draw, because many of the 2-in-1 laptops come with active pens that are great for creating art.
We have picked 4 laptops here that are perfect for your drawing needs. Let’s find out what we believe are the best out there.
- Quick Summary
- Who Should Get This?
- Best Laptop for Drawing: What to Consider in 2022
- Best Laptop for Drawing in 2022: Our Picks
- Useful Tips and Resources
- Final Words
- If you want a laptop that has great pen input and is extremely easy to use, the Microsoft Surface Pro 6 is a great computer for you. Everything simply works right out of the box, and you can be up and drawing in no time.
- If you want a Chromebook that is capable of doubling as your artist station, the Samsung Chromebook Pro has you covered. It has enough power to run any art apps on Chrome OS and the pen is nice and fluid to use.
- If you are looking for a stylish laptop that has great drawing ability, the HP Spectre x360 is the one. It has a very sleek and clean design that will appeal to many, and the pen display works extremely well.
- If you want a 4k display on your laptop with the hardware to power it, the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is the choice. It has a beautiful, ultra HD display that makes all media consumption and drawing extremely enjoyable.
Who Should Get This?
If you are a professional artist or graphic designer, these laptops will be great choices to do your work on the go. They have the hardware to handle even the most strenuous photography software such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
These are also great choices for anyone that loves to draw. Even if it is just your hobby or you are wanting to learn, these computers are great to get into your new passion. They will last you for the next few years while you perfect your art, and possibly turn it into more than just a hobby.
Best Laptop for Drawing: What to Consider in 2022
First thing first, you want to make sure you buy a laptop that has a nice pen included. This is how you will draw and interact with the laptop, so having one that is comfortable to hold is a must.
There are 2-in-1 laptops in all price ranges, so finding one to fit your budget shouldn’t be too hard. No matter if you have over $2,000 to spend or as low as $600, there is the perfect laptop out there for you.
Not all 2-in-1 laptops have the most stylish designs. They tend to offer more functionality, but suffer from looking a bit boring. However, there are some options here that have bucked that trend, and have prioritized their design to match their high performance.
Best Laptop for Drawing in 2022: Our Picks
1. Microsoft Surface Pro 6
The Microsoft Surface Pro line has been going strong for years now, and the 6th generation version is the best one yet. The pen has seen major upgrades, making it one of the most enjoyable drawing experiences on the market.
This model is loaded with an Intel i5 processor and 8GB of RAM, making it capable of running your favorite drawing programs and apps. While it only has 128GB of storage, this is the base model which is extremely budget-friendly.
- Processor: Intel i5-8400T
- RAM: 8GB LPDDR3
- GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Storage: 128GB SSD
2. Samsung Chromebook Pro Convertible Touch Screen Laptop
While Chromebooks are generally not an artist’s first choice of laptop, they should be on more people’s minds. The great part about Chrome OS is that it is super lightweight and efficient. That means you don’t need the top end hardware to run it and it’s apps, so you can save some money going this route.
It has a low power Intel Core M3 processor, and only 4GB of RAM, but that is more than enough to power through any workload on Chrome OS. You will have your pick of apps from the store for your drawing needs, and won’t have to worry about if the computer can handle it. The Samsung Chromebook Pro has all the horsepower you need.
- Processor: Intel Core M3 6Y30
- RAM: 4GB LPDDR3
- GPU: Intel HD Graphics 515
- Storage: 32GB eMMC
3. HP Spectre x360 15t Convertible 2-in-1 Laptop
HP has designed one of the most fantastic looking 2-in-1 laptops on the market in the Spectre x360. This is one of the few 2-in-1 laptops that breaks the mold and values looks as much as performance. It can hold its own against any laptop on the market.
However, this laptop has much more than just good looks. It is equipped with an Intel i7 processor, and features a powerful AMD Radeon RX Vega GPU. This gives it much more graphical capability than the standard Intel integrated solutions, making it perfect for all your drawing needs.
- Processor: Intel i7-8705G
- RAM: 32GB DDR4
- GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega
- Storage: 256GB SSD
4. Dell Inspiron 15 7000
This laptop is quite possibly the perfect compromise between price and performance on this list. Dell makes great pens and the display on this model is nice and crisp. Given this model is equipped with a high-resolution 4k display, you are going to need good internal components to power through your tasks.
Luckily, this model is packed with an i7 processor and an Nvidia MX130 GPU, giving it the strength it needs to push all of those pixels. It also features 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD, making it a very well balanced system and a great choice no matter what your level of drawing skill.
- Processor: Intel i7-8550U
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce MX130 2GB
- Storage: 512GB SSD
Useful Tips and Resources
Having a universal pen stylus to use as a backup in case you ever lose or damage the one that is provided is a good idea. That way you can set it up and use it until you can purchase a replacement or get the original fixed.
Putting a USB hub in your laptop bag to go with any of these is a good idea. Given the limited amount of space due to a laptop’s size, you are only going to get a few USB slots on any of the devices. Adding a hub can make a huge difference in ease of use.
Now is a great time for art enthusiasts to purchase a new computer, simply because there are so many choices available. Any of the four listed here would be great options, and they span the spectrum as far as budget goes. So take your pick, and make it one that you love!
Have you ever used a 2-in-1 laptop for drawing? Let us know in the comments below!