The 17-inch laptop is the king of portable computing. The massive screen size makes it the luxury size for those who care less about portability, and more about flair and screen area.
While there are a ton of 17-inch laptops on the market, they are not all created equal. We have listed a few below that we think stand out from the rest.
- Quick Summary
- Who Should Get This?
- Best 17-Inch Laptops in 2022: Our Picks
- Best 17-Inch Laptop: What to Consider in 2022
- Useful Tips and Resources
- Final Words
- If you are looking for the absolute highest performing laptop you can find, no matter the price, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701 is the one for you. This computer is chock full of amazing technology, and the highest possible configuration of internal components you will find.
- If you are looking for a nice workstation laptop, check out the Lenovo ThinkPad P72. It has nice high-end specs, and a very formal look perfect for work or your next business meeting.
- Buying a high-end laptop to replace your home desktop computer can be done, and the perfect candidate is the HP Envy 17t. It has tons of RAM, an i7 processor, and a sleek design that will look nice on any desk.
- If you are looking for a midrange gaming laptop with a nice large screen, the HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop is a great choice. It has a nice Nvidia GPU, a fast processor, and a nice gamer aesthetic.
Who Should Get This?
If you hate the thought of using a small screen for your daily computer use, the 17-inch screen laptops are a great bridge between a desktop monitor and a small laptop display. They are often bigger and heavier, but that is a small price to pay for getting those precious extra inches.
Another great use for these are gaming computers. Who doesn’t want a larger display when playing their video games? These laptops provide that, and definitely give a more immersive experience than their smaller versions.
Best 17-Inch Laptops in 2022: Our Picks
ASUS has decided to create a laptop with a super high-end look to match it’s extremely powerful internal specs. Some people may have to double-take when looking at the keyboard and trackpad layout of the ROG Zephyrus S GX701, but it is extremely functional and has a premium feel.
The real star of the show here is the super powerful Nvidia RTX 2080, which is the top-of-the-line laptop GPU currently. It absolutely crushes every game out there, even at the highest settings. While there is a newer generation of i7 out there, the 8750H is still an amazing CPU, and when paired with the RTX 2080 create a high performing dynamic duo.
- Processor: Intel i7-8750H
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB
- Storage: 1TB SSD
2. Lenovo ThinkPad P72 Premium School and Business Laptop
Having more screen area for your business and workstation computer makes a ton of sense. The larger screen will help with multitasking and ease the eyestrain if you work on the computer for longer periods of time.
Packed with a nice i7 processor and an Nvidia Quadro GPU, this laptop has all the power you need for your daily work tasks. A nice 256GB boot drive and 1TB storage drive round out a nicely put together machine for the office.
- Processor: Intel i7-8750H
- RAM: 16GB DDR4
- GPU: Nvidia Quadro P400 4GB
- Storage: 256GB + 1TB HDD
3. HP Envy 17t Premium 17.3 inch Touch Laptop
HP makes great laptops, and this computer is extremely powerful for its very understated look. A nice minimalist design will look nice on your home desk, as it’s power certainly makes it a great desktop replacement.
If you value performance, 32GB of RAM and i7 processor are exactly what you need. Combine that with a nice large 512GB SSD and a dedicated Nvidia GPU, and you have a computer that is fast and definitely capable of doing your day to day tasks with ease.
- Processor: Intel i7-8550U
- RAM: 32GB DDR4
- GPU: Nvidia MX150 4GB
- Storage: 512GB + 1TB HDD
HP doesn’t just make family and student laptops, but they also make some extremely good gaming laptops. This Pavilion Gaming Laptop is nice looking and has the performance to match. The addition of a high refresh rate display is a nice touch as well.
This laptop has the newest generation i7 paired with an Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti, making it a great choice for someone looking for a capable gaming computer. However, it does only have 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage space, so it may not be as ideal for multitasking. However, these parts are upgradeable, so you could fix it up in the future if needed.
- Processor: Intel i7-9750H
- RAM: 8GB DDR4
- GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
- Storage: 256GB SSD
Best 17-Inch Laptop: What to Consider in 2022
While we consider gaming laptops great all-around laptops, having a non-gaming version of a laptop will often come at a considerable price reduction. This can often get you great performance for a bit less money.
17-inch laptops can be bought from under $1,000 all the way to over $3,000. This means that no matter what your budget is, more than likely you can find a nice 17-inch model.
When buying a 17-inch laptop, there will undoubtedly be a bit of added weight. Add that with the extra size and they are a bit more difficult to carry around in a bag or backpack.
Useful Tips and Resources
With a large screen, you are bound to get it extremely dirty. Making sure you keep that nice new screen clean should be one of your top priorities, and getting a nice screen cleaning kit is a good investment. Just toss it in your bag with the laptop, and keep a nice crystal clear display at all times.
Another thing that comes with the large screen laptops is the ability to add more flair to the top of the laptop. Most choose stickers to go here, and if you do, we suggest the vinyl variety that easily peels off without any nasty residue left behind.
Laptops can often be less appealing due to their small screen sizes. The 17-inch models try to bridge that gap, making them much easier to use, and much more appealing to those who are used to using a desktop monitor.
Does the larger screen size appeal to you? Would you choose a 17-inch laptop over a smaller size?
Let us know in the comments below!